While most people see an orthodontist to achieve the beautiful smile they have always wanted, there are subtle signs that can indicate orthodontic treatment is a necessity for some people.
Orthodontic warning signs include:
- Early, late or otherwise unusual loss of primary teeth
- Jaws that shift often and make sounds
- Pain in the jaw when chewing
- A mouth-breathing habit
- Noticeable spaces between the teeth
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
- A gummy smile where much of the gum tissue above the teeth shows
- Front teeth which protrude out and over the lower teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Difficulty biting or chewing food
- An unbalanced facial profile
- A finger or thumb sucking habit that continues once the permanent teeth start coming in
- If the upper teeth fit inside the arch of the lower teeth (underbite)
- If the midlines of the upper and lower teeth do not line up
- If the upper teeth completely hide the lower teeth when biting down (deep bite)
If you notice any of these warning signs for orthodontics in yourself or your child, it’s definitely time for you to schedule an orthodontic evaluation. Your orthodontist will provide you with a thorough examination to determine if you have any orthodontic problems that require treatment.
Your smile is one of your greatest assets so it’s important to take care of it! Today, there are more orthodontic treatment options available than ever before including AcceleDent, which can help speed your orthodontic treatment with fixed braces or clear aligners up to 50% faster and reduce discomfort! To find an AcceleDent provider near your visit our Doctor Locator at acceledent.com/doctor locator.