Ten fun facts that will encourage you to show your pearly whites!
1. Forcing yourself to smile can boost your mood. Psychologists have found that you can instantly lift your spirits by forcing yourself to smile.
2. Smiling boosts your immune system. Smiling can improve your physical health. Your body is more relaxed when you smile, which contributes to good health and a stronger immune system.
3. It’s easier to smile than to frown. Scientists have discovered that your body has to work harder and use more muscles to frown than to smile.
4. There are 19 different types of smiles. Researchers identified 19 types of smiles and put them into two categories: polite “social” smiles which engage fewer muscles, and sincere “felt” smiles that use more muscles on both sides of the face.
5. We still smile at work. Thirty percent of subjects in a research study smiled five to 20 times a day, and 28% smiled over 20 times per day while at the office.
6. Smiles are the most easily recognizable facial expression. People can recognize smiles up to 300 feet away!
7. Smiles are more attractive than makeup. A research study discovered that nearly 70% of people found women more attractive when they simply smiled vs. when they wore makeup without smiling.
8. Babies are born with the ability to smile. Babies learn behavior and sounds from watching the people around them, but scientists believe that all babies are born with “smileability.”
9. Smile; it’s contagious. Based on research studies, people had difficulty frowning when observing other people who were smiling.
10. Smiling helps you get promoted. A smile makes a person seem more attractive, sociable and confident, and people who smile more often are more likely to get promotions.