In addition to its primary role as the beginning of the digestive system, your mouth is a very important part of your body. You use your mouth for many things including showing others how you feel by smiling or frowning, and tasting and chewing food.
Here are some fun facts about your mouth:
- 15% of the population cannot curl their tongue into a tube.
- The body’s hardest substance is enamel, the outer layer of your teeth.
- Saliva is necessary for tasting. We would be unable to taste anything if our mouths were dry.
- Of all the five senses taste is the weakest.
- Left-handed people tend to chew food on the left side of their mouths while right-handed people prefer chewing on the right.
- Everyone has a unique tongue print just like our fingerprints.
- Your tongue is the strongest muscle in your body relative to its size.
- The tongue is the only muscle in the body that is attached at just one end.
- We have approximately 9,000 taste buds and females have more than males.
- We produce about 1.5 liters of saliva each day.